WWE exclusive interview: Mickie James



Former Divas Champion Mickie James made waves across the sports-entertainment world when she dropped by the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Fla., sparking rumors of a possible return to WWE. WWE.com caught up with the five-time Women’s Champion to get the story behind her trip to the Sunshine State, what she’s been up to lately and whether the WWE Universe can really expect to see her again anytime soon.

WWE.COM: Can you tell us what you were doing at the WWE Performance Center? How did that visit come about?

MICKIE JAMES: I got a call from Talent Relations, and they asked if I would be interested in coming down, checking it out and working with some of the girls here. Of course, I jumped all over it; I was happy to do it. The place is amazing, it really is mind-blowing. We had all prayed for something like this [when we were] breaking in.

Photos: Triple H unveils the Performance Center | Highlights from the ceremony 

WWE.COM: Where did you train?

MICKIE: Gosh, I started at a small school in Virginia and I learned how to wrestle – at least take falls – in a boxing ring. Crappy rings and garages … kind of old-school, you know what I mean? So to come in and step in somewhere like this, which is a palace compared to the places I trained at, is just amazing.

WWE.COM: Were there any Divas at the WWE Performance Center that stood out to you?

MICKIE: Oh yeah, absolutely. Obviously, I see so much with Paige; she’s awesome, I think she’s really great. And there are a few of the younger girls. Lexi has tons of personality and tons of potential. Mercedes and Emma are really good. Shaul Guerrero, too; I don't know if it's just because it’s in her blood, but she's a natural. Her footwork, her movements, and her personality are through the roof. Each of them has their strengths and you can see their personalities coming out more and more. That’s what I’ve really been trying to focus on with them too.

More NXT: Paige on winning the NXT Women's Title

WWE.COM: So you’re not just teaching them in-ring work?

MICKIE: Mostly being vocal in the ring and being vocal while they’re working instead of just thinking about what their moves are and what they need to do in there. Actually being who they are.